Monday, April 25, 2011

Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

This weekend I decided to try my hand at making my own buttercream frosting and found this recipe from Savory Sweet Life.  To say that I am loving this site would be an understatement, and I am really looking forward to trying out some of the recipes I found here!  I'm not a huge baker and really don't have any advanced skills in the kitchen, but the end results were delicious (so if I can do this so can you)!  I really didn't need a big bowl of butter and sugar calling my name, but there's just something fun about trying something new, and giving my kiddos a chance to have fun in the kitchen too. 

So we turned this...


...into this:



...and this:



...and this:



Obviously we had fun trying out different colors (using the Wilton concentrated gel icing colors-- lots of neat ideas and tips at the Wilton website here, and the kids were very generous with the sprinkles.  Yummy.  : )

Here is the recipe verbatim from the Savory Sweet Life page.  For my go at this I used heavy cream which seemed to work well.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted!). Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream

DIRECTIONS
Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment